If you’re into woodworking, you love building with your hands and creating new, exciting projects. However, there’s no reason you can’t actually make a little cash. The following projects sell like hotcakes and should help you pay for your more personal woodworking projects.
- Signs – Simple signs, especially those with wood-burnt lettering, are always popular. An average sign should take no more than half an hour to make and can sell for as much as $10-$20.
- Storage Boxes – Boxes are always popular, especially if you spend a little time to add handles, latches, and decorative touches. Invest in higher priced cedar to create chests worth $50-$100 a pop.
- Bird Houses – Although bird houses are often highly associated with shop class, they always sell well. Try to create unique bird houses that stand out from the crowd. Worth? About $15-$25.
- Canes and Walking Sticks – Canes and walking sticks are among the easiest woodworking projects: just lathe a 4×4 for about half an hour to create the basic shape. Add decorative touches to make it stand out. Sell canes for about $20-$35.
Building your woodworking projects is just the first step. Now, you have to sell them. This part of the process is baffling, unless you follow these basic selling tips:
- Never sell anything for more than $100. People are generally going to max out at about $50-$100 on these kinds of projects.
- Don’t be afraid to advertise. For a small classified ad fee, you can get your name and projects in the community.
- Be willing to take suggestions. If people are asking for a specific project, there’s obviously a market for it.
- Choose a niche. Focusing on a very specific kind of project, such as birdhouses, can streamline your business and create a brand name for your product.
Follow these steps and your woodworking projects will be in high demand. Especially if you spend time hand crafting each project to perfect.