Random orbit sanders are one of the most powerful and useful sanders on the market. However, they have a tendency to be a bit…hard to handle for some people. You really have to know how to use these babies to get the best out of them.
Follow these simple tips to get the best possible results from your orbit sander:
- Clamp your wood down before you begin. While this is generally a good tip for any sander, it’s especially important for random orbit sanders.
- Press very lightly with your sander. You should only provide enough pressure to hold it to the surface.
- Trust in the sandpaper. Don’t force the sander where it doesn’t want to go. This will create scuff marks across the surface of your wood.
- Lean slightly to the side of sander. This avoids creating too much pressure and gives it more freedom to roam.
- Use the correct sand paper grit. Not all random orbit sanders will use the same grit. Generally, 3/8” should be compatible with most sanders.
- Move with the grain of the material. This accentuates the natural beauty of the wood and lets your sander do its job without extra strain. It also creates a more even finish.
- Try to buy a unit with a sealed switch. While it may seem annoying to have to open the seal every time you want to turn it on or off, it helps keep your switch from getting caked with damaging dust, dirt, and saw dust.
These random orbit sander tips should help you avoid serious scuffs and damage on your next woodworking project. If you have any more orbit sander tips, please contact us! We’d love to hear from you.