The Bosch 1617 SPK 12-Amp Variable Speed router is a premier Bosch router that comes standard with fixed bases and plunge, sturdy aluminum construction, collet chucks, chip shields, wrenches, and a carrying case. The EVSPK features a 2 ¼ horsepower motor that is capable of varying speeds from 8,000 to 25,000 RPM. In addition to all of this, Bosch also covers it with a one-year warranty.
The 1617 ECSPK router can make the toughest jobs easier, and it is not difficult to see why when you look at all of the extras that Bosch provides with it. The constant response circuitry prevents the motor from bogging down and getting sluggish during your work. The motor and bases feature a tool-free clamp system, meaning you can change out bases without needing a special tool. Just remove the clamp and switch.
- Varying speeds so you can choose the proper setting for your stock
- Soft-start for easier starts that produce lower torque
- Constant-Response Circuitry keeps router running at a consistent speed regardless of pressure applied
- Bases can be switched easily thanks to a quick-clamp system
- Precision Centering Design easily keeps your bit on line and centered for templates, dovetail and fixtures.
- Micro-fine adjustments allow for expedient and precise maneuvering of your bit
- Larger bits may be used thanks to larger base openings
- Ambidextrous on/off switches for left and right-handed users
- Handles are contoured and ergonomic
- Includes a fixed base that allows for above the table height adjustments
- Fixed base may be mounted to a table thanks to threaded mounting holes
- Rugged carrying case has compartments for all included items
What Customers Are Saying
“This is a great router!” – Jen
“What more could you want. This machine is powerful and very quiet. Setup is quick, easy, precise and locks down tight” – S. Parsons
The majority of online reviewers gave the Bosch 1617 EVSPK glowing reviews, and this particular Bosch router received the highest possible rating it can get from these same reviewers. Out of all the features and traits that the 1617 EVSPK has, most people commented on its ease of use. With its straightforward design and simple features, many novice woodworkers can take this home today and begin working immediately.
The plunge base has some issues. The reviewers stated that the handles on the plunge base tend to come loose after repeated usage. This is fixed by tightening the screws that hold the handles in place.
The most common complaint among all of these reviewers was that the Bosch 1617 EVSPK seems to need an adapter in order to perform jig template routing. In addition to needing an adapter, the Bosch adapter needs a second adapter in order for this router to work for that specific type of job.
- Easy to set up and use
- Lots of power
- Adjustable speed
- Collet chucks included
- Aluminum design
- Micro-fine bit adjustment
- Switch is not completely sealed
- Needs multiple adapters to perform template routing
- Handles on plunge come loose
The Bosch 1617 EVSPK is a great router and is easy to set up and use. Its variable speeds and strong motor mean that it is sturdy enough for even the toughest stock. With all of the great features Bosch packs into this setup, it is a great router for enthusiasts and novices alike.